In the movie The Graduate, Dustin Hoffman’s character has just graduated from college.
His parents throw him a welcome-home party to celebrate.
One of his dad’s friends throws his arm around Dustin’s shoulders and asks, “So, what are you going to do now?”
Dustin tells him, “I was going to go upstairs.”
The man looks at him askance and says, “No, I mean … with your life.”
What are you doing with your life?
Do you have a meaningful purpose that gives you a reason to wake up every morning?
If so; you’re living in the sublime, deeply satisfying state of SerenDestiny®.
If not; please know that NOT knowing what you want to do with your life is … natural.
Sure, some lucky people, (like my son Tom who knew at age 8 he wanted to do something “up there” and now works with the International Space Station), have clarity about their purpose from an early age.
For most of us though, we figure it out along the way.
We figure it out by experimenting and learning what resonates and what doesn’t. Our life-work emerges from the process – it doesn’t precede the process.
The good news is, you can facilitate finding your life-work by studying the case studies of SerenDestineers who share their epiphanies of how and why they’ve come to love their life.
I’ve been sharing their insights in this blog for the past year, and will be distilling their lessons-learned (and my own) in my upcoming book SerenDestiny: Is the Light On In Your Eyes?
I’d love to include your story of how you’ve created a life you love. How would you answer the following questions?
1. How did you discover your life’s purpose?
2. What obstacles did you encounter? How did you overcome them?
3. What advice do you have for how people can lead a life where the light’s on in their eyes?
Still searching for your SerenDestiny®? What questions and challenges would you like addressed in the book?
I really believe in “crowd-sourcing.” This will be a better book if it features a variety of real-life examples from people around the world so everyone can relate to it.
I know you’re busy … so thank you in advance for taking the time to submit your questions and suggestions to Sam@IntrigueAgency.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
And in case you’re curious about how SerenDestiny® got started…. here’s the back-story.
What’s the SerenDestiny Story?
My sons Tom and Andrew were home for the holidays from Virginia Tech.
We were getting caught up over dinner and Andrew said, “Hey, Mom, I ran into Ryan last night. It was really interesting. I hadn’t seen him since high school and I’d been wondering what he was up to. Then, there he was … out of the blue.”
I laughed and said, “Oh Andrew. That wasn’t out of the blue. That’s called Serendipity. Some people call those happy accidents … but I don’t think they’re accidents.”
“What you do you mean?”
“Think about it. What are the odds of that happening?
You’re thinking about Ryan and all of a sudden he shows up?? Really?!
That’s not a coincidence, that’s a gift.
Your paths crossed for a reason. You’re supposed to figure out why and act on it. Maybe you’re meant to collaborate with Ryan on something.”
Andrew was intrigued. Later that night, he came up to me with a thoughtful expression on his face and said, “Mom, I really like that concept of . . . SerenDestiny®.”
Aahhh. Out of the mouths of 20-somethings. Little did I know that casual conversation would launch an incredibly rewarding, new direction in my career and business.
The idea of SerenDestiny® intrigued me too.
I realized, looking back, my whole life has been a series of SerenDestiny® Stepping Stones.
From an early age, something “out of the blue” would happen and I would somehow, instinctively, understand it was my job to capitalize on it.
That would lead to something wonderful which would in turn lead to something even more wonderful. People often tell me how lucky I am to do the work I was born to do and I agree.
But I think it’s more than luck.
In retrospect, I now see there were a variety of contributing factors that played a role in me leading a life I love.
Whenever it was time to make a pivotal life decision – what I now call Crucial Crossroads – I honored my Three I’s – Instincts, Integrity and Interests.
Every time I did, it paid off. Every time I didn’t, I paid the price.
The more I explored this concept, the more I started defining SerenDestiny® as “leading a life where the light’s on in our eyes.”
I started asking everyone I met, “How would you define SerenDestiny®? Are you leading the life you’re meant to live? If so, why? If not, why not?”
I’ve learned a lot, including:
1. We move closer to the sublime state of SerenDestiny® every time we act in alignment with our Thre I’s – our Interests, Instincts and Integrity – and our Three V’s – Values, Voice and Vision at Crucial Crossroads.
2. SerenDestiny® doesn’t just happen. We don’t FIND our calling – we CREATE it. It is a byproduct of “doing our half,” honoring our hunches, proving our passion and connecting with kindred souls who facilitate and fast-forward our best future. When we do our half – the universe steps up and say, “all right-then,” and does its half.
3. It is never too late or too early to set our SerenDestiny® in motion. And we don’t need to win the lottery, fly to Bali or quit our job to lead a life where the light’s on in our eyes.
4. It is not selfish to seek our SerenDestiny®. Just the opposite. Identifying our gifts and giving them back to the world results in a “rising tide raising all boats” life that benefits all involved.